9 things you should know about Drupal 9
01. June 2020 - The date that Drupal 9 is released.
02. November 2021 - marks the end of life for Drupal 7 and Drupal 8.
03. Twig and Symfony - the third party dependencies Drupal relies on - the version 9 release will support software versions guaranteed to be around for a long time, such as Twig 2 and Symfony 4/5.
04. No more costly rebuilds - Back in 2015 when 8 was released this was their promise. And you’ll be pleased to hear that even with the Drupal 9 announcement they stuck to their word.
05. Every 6 months - the regular timeframe for core upgrades on Drupal 8 and 9. This means you’ll see new, innovative features coming quicker than ever before.
06. Deprecated code - What the 8 and 9 versions are getting rid of - this means your site will have more new features and be faster than ever before.
07. Drupal 9 is pretty much Drupal 8.10 - If you’re already on 8 then the upgrade to 9 is similar to a core upgrade, for example from 8.6 to 8.7. We repeat this is not a costly rebuild.
08. “But I’m still on Drupal 7!” - If your site is built on Drupal 7 you will need to make the upgrade and rebuild your site in Drupal 8 - we recommend doing this as soon as possible. However if you’re not quite ready for this your current site is the perfect opportunity to start testing on users to gain valuable insights and knowledge that will inform your rebuild.
09. Don’t worry we’ve got your back - No matter what version of Drupal you’re on, or perhaps you’re not even on Drupal at all (yet); we've got consultants ready and waiting to help guide you through your digital journey.
Wanting more information?